JOIN THE ASSISTED REPRODUCTION
FORUM. OUR EXPERTS
RESPOND

Endometriosis

Hello,

My Husband and I have been trying to concieve for 5 years, with no success. We are currently under the Bristol Centre of Reproductive Medicine, I had an Lap + Dye on the 18th October and was told I have Endometriosis in my womb only no cysits on my ovaries. I know I have to have this removed, what are the chances of us concieving naturally after it has been removed? I am so worried that it won't happen for us afterwards. My Husband has good sperm all be-it slightly abnormal but both Doctors have said they would still be able to do the job. I am 24 and my husband is 32.

Many thanks  Jess xx

Comments
  • edited January 2014
    Dear Jess,
    Many thanks for your message and the input provided.

Actually, related to this, there was a big multi-centric study called ENDOCAN carried out several years ago. It showed that the chances of achieving a natural pregnancy after the removal of endometriosis injuries that had been diagnosed by laparoscopy but not seen by ultrasound were actually very poor - of only 4.8% monthly and 31.2% after 3 years.

In our opinion, trying to conceive for 5 years is a long time and our advice would be for you to undergo a fertility treatment. Given the length of time spent looking for a pregnancy; we consider that the best option for you would be an IVF.

I hope my comments have been of use to you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Marta Colodrón