JOIN THE ASSISTED REPRODUCTION
FORUM. OUR EXPERTS
RESPOND

Cystic uterus + PCOS

in Share your experiences edited November 2016
Hi all,

What a great way to bring awareness to our struggles and have others to talk to going through the same issues.

I am 36 years old and live in New Zealand (british ex pat) and was disgnosed with PCOS when I was 17.  I have had about 5 natural periods my whole life, had 3 failed IUI, 2 failed IVF and now I have just found out the my uterus is covered in cysts.

I am at the point of thinking that I just need to give up trying and get lots of dogs to fill the gap. 

Has anyone been through the same thing?  Can anyone give me hope because mine is going fast.

If anyone needs some advice or support, please get in contact as well as I have pretty much gone through it all x
Comments
  • edited January 2014

Dear Kerry,
    Your kind and helpful attitude is highly appreciated!

First of all, and without knowing too much about your case, I would advise you not to give up just yet if your desire is to have a baby.

We would need more specific information about those cysts that they found. They could be adenomyosis, which is a kind of endometriosis. We know that this disorder does not hinder implantation when a good quality embryo is transferred. We have learnt that from oocyte donation.

Women with uterine problems as adenomyosis have the same chances to get pregnant after an egg donation than those women without this uterine condition.

In conclusion, we have learnt that the uterus is less important than the embryo for implantation.

Of course, there are some limitations. There are women with many fibroids or several uterine operations who have a bad prognosis even with transfer of good embryos.

In your case, I would advise you to carry out a Hysteroscopy so as to study the inside of the uterus and check up your endometrium. If everything is fine, and depending on the results and information of your previous IVF treatments, I would probably suggest you to do another IVF cycle with different strategies trying to change some details such as stimulation protocol, day of embryo transfer, number of embryos to be transferred, etc.

Best of luck, Kerry!

Kindest regards,

Dr. Martha Colodrón