JOIN THE ASSISTED REPRODUCTION
FORUM. OUR EXPERTS
RESPOND

PCOS

Hi my name is Adele. I am 26 years old. I have been trying for a baby for 2 and a half years now. I have been put on Metformin, Clomid and I was due to receive FSH treatment but this has not happened.

I suffer with PCOS and it is so good to see that people have taken it into their own hands to make this site up and to bring awareness to infertility.
Only 1 out of 6 people could understand what we go through and it is about time that everyone understands and can bring support to those who need it.
I have been trying now for about 2 and a half years. I was started on Metformin by my doctor to see if this helped my body to ovulate naturally, but this did not work. I was then referred to a fertility clinic where they tried me on 'Clomid'. After 3 courses of this treatment, getting higher in dosage each time, this still did not work either. I was then in the process of being referred for FSH (Follicle-Stimulating Hormone). This is where they use a drug called 'Gonadotropins' to help the female to ovulate. Since being referred I split with my partner about 6 months ago whilst waiting and have since met someone else who wants children as well.

Since changing my partner, I told the fertility clinic where I was receiving NHS treatment and they decided to remove me from their lists so I now have to go through all of this stress and waiting again. I am in the process of waiting for a doctors appointment to visit my doctor to get re-referred.
This has been so heart breaking, to be so close and then have it taken away. It is clear that the infertility problem rests with myself so I felt like it was so unfair to remove me from the list and have to go back and start from scratch again :-(

My brother and his girlfriend are also expecting their first baby in 6 months and at the same time as being excited for them both and excited to become an aunty for the first time, it is so hard not to feel envious of them and it makes it feel so unfair that it is so easy for them when they were not even trying, and here I am 2 and a half years down the road and I have been pushed back to square one.

Does anyone else suffer with PCOS, anyone else had any problem like this. Just to talk to someone else would be nice.

Adele

Comments
  • edited January 2014

Dear Adele,

Many thanks for your e-mail. We appreciate your sharing your case with us.

I can understand how frustrating it can be not to get pregnant when everyone else around you seems to have no trouble in doing so. We also know how difficult it can be sometimes to resort to a fertility treatment.

Since you’ve already tried metformin and clomid and it didn’t work (ovulation did not occur), my next piece of advice would be for you to use gonadotropins.

Please note those are long lasting treatments and you should be ready for them. They start with low doses so as to avoid the risk of an ovarian hyper-stimulation.

However, according to our experience, the best results are achieved when we know the reasons that lie behind the problem that hinders you from getting pregnant. So, cheer up! You can make it!

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is actually more common than what you may think.

I wish you all the best and I’m sure that you will find many other women with whom you’ll be able to share your experience while trying to conceive.

Best regards,

Dr. Marta Trullenque