JOIN THE ASSISTED REPRODUCTION
FORUM. OUR EXPERTS
RESPOND

ectopic preg and low fertility

I had an ectopic pregnancy last june which was undetected and ended up rupturing and m having surgery to remove my left tube, snce then have throbbing in my side on a regular basis whichh is worse when on my period, is this normal or is it me just listening to my body more than did before? does anyone else suffer this? also my consultant has had m tested for everything from hormones to a dye test and it seems do not ovulate regularly can anyone suggest a medication they have tried or what bst out there. 

Comments
  • Good evening,
    Many thanks for letting us know about your doubts. It’s always nice when people share their thoughts and we are able to help them somehow.

Whenever an abdominal surgery has been performed, it is normal to experience some discomfort afterwards. In some instances, this happens due to the tissues’ adhesions. Those pains usually tend to improve and disappear with time.

As far as the lack of ovulation goes, please note that it is better to carry out a medical assessment that includes some medical exams before we can suggest the intake of any some medication. We need to know why you don’t ovulate in order to be able to offer you the best treatment.

This medical assessment should be done on the basis of the results of a hormone blood test (carried out between the 2nd and 5th day of your cycle) made up of oestradiol, LH, FSH and TSH, testosterone and androstendione and a test to determine whether it also exists resistance to insulin. Moreover, it would also be advisable to carry out a pelvic ultrasound scan to check your ovaries.

Please bear in mind that if you had a spontaneous pregnancy in June it means that actually you did ovulate - which means that you certainly may have some cycles with spontaneous ovulation.

I would like to point out that it is very important not to let yourself be influenced by what has worked for someone else. She may have had a different problem and therefore what she took would be of no use to you.
    Don’t forget that all the medication aimed at prompting ovulation should always be taken under the direct supervision of a doctor.

I hope to have been of assistance to you.

Should you have any other queries or questions, please feel free to share them with us!

Kindest regards,
    Dr. Marta Trullenque