JOIN THE ASSISTED REPRODUCTION
FORUM. OUR EXPERTS
RESPOND

Doing a headstand

in Share your experiences edited November 2016
Is this really a myth? You would think because of gravity that this would make sense. My friend took 10 months to conceive and she swears its because she did a handstand for 20 mins after. I know that sperm takes no more than 10 mins to get where it needs to so dont need to do it for 20mins but i must admit i do put two pillows underneath me to raise me up and stay there for 10-15 mins
Comments
  • edited January 2014
    Dear Lisa,
    Thank you for your email. We appreciate the time you spent sharing your concerns with us and other people who may be having the same question. 

The only thing that has been proven after doing a fertility treatment (especially, inseminations) is that it is possible to improve the results by lying down for 10 minutes (in the supine position with flexed legs). There is no need to lean forward or do a handstand-up. 

Please note that the spermatozoa are able to head for both Fallopian tubes searching for the egg regardless of the woman’s position.

In any case, if that is your wish, you may well rest and lie for 10 minutes after the ejaculation.

I hope my answer has been useful to you. 

Best regards,
    Dr. Marta Trullenque